Wednesday, November 15, 2006

More settling in, and my girl's personality

We're settling in- jet lag for both of us. And Emma wakes up needing to be carried around the house, to reassure her again of her surroundings. We've had an extra meal, most nights, in the wee hours of the morning. But all this will pass soon...

In the few days since we've been home we've been to REI, the zoo (twice), a playground, Trader Joe’s, and of course Starbucks- Emma loves to pick someone out and engage them. Also we've had lots of visitors, which Emma loves.

Some neat things about my girl-

She likes pretty dang spicy food- The Hubei girls are known as the "spicy girls" for their local food tastes. When I dished myself out some curry she let me know she wanted some too (as she wants to try most anything I eat, at least once). I gave her a tiny piece of the curry tuna (a solid 2-3 stars on the Seattle scale).. she focused a bit and made these cute little sucking sounds, to cool her mouth, not reaching for the rice... and then insisted on having more.

She loves being out in the elements- the weather here is awful right now, cold and rainy. While at the zoo it started to rain, as we were heading out. Emma insisted on no hat, loved the cold breeze, and cried when we got to the car and she needed to get in her carseat.

She loves music, and usually wants some Chinese kids music I bought to be playing. She loves me to pick her up and dance with her. She spontaneously starts singing “Mama Ai Ni”, a song I made up in China, and sing often to her. Now I’ve added the English verse “Mama loves you”.

She loves going out. Putting on a heavier coat, she started fussing… when I said “Watchi”, ie “going out”, she immediately stopped.

She's starting to try some fake fussing, to test me. Most times we catch each other out of the corner of our eyes.. and both start laughing instead.

Pics are misc from the past few days. If you click on them you get a larger image.




No comments: