Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Chinese Adoption Day

... and becoming a mom

Today I signed all the paperwork to adopt Emma, in Chinese eyes. This was done in a conference room in the hotel, with a number of Chinese orphanage/other officials there. They stamped Emma' footprint. Someone held her to do this (I was so surprised she went to her, as she only will be held by me, she obviously knew her). I was signing my signature, and the officials at the desk gasped- they said "did you hear what she said?- "Momma's writing." Wow... I guess this is it.

Emma's been grieving hard, last night, and much of today/tonight. She misses her foster parents. She's a little older than the other girls, and so more cognizant of her loss. She only will be held by me, and must be held while I walk- not sitting, not rocking. I've put on a lot of miles, and wishing I'd spent more time lifting weights! We've done a lot of room service. This is all very normal- the good news is that she makes good eye contact, and we are connecting.

We are seeing glimpses of the little girl she is- she can chatter away in Chinese, and has the greatest little giggle- Michelle is good at getting her to do this. She imitates me singing itsy bitsy spider. At the adoption ceremony, and a bit later, she ventured out of my arms, and was walking and playing with some of the kids. She even set down her little doggie, for the first time, for all of about 30 seconds.

That's all for now- I'm beat. We may try to venture out tomorrow, there's a half-day tour to a tourist destination- If we make it to the lobby (the elevator totally freaks her out), being out and about should be good for her.

2 comments:

Christi and Abbey said...

"momma's writing" has put a lump in my throat and a little squeeze around my heart!

Heather said...

Despite tired arms and legs, it must feel sooo good to hold Emma in your arms!